Wednesday, May 18, 2011

still no pictures; no breakfast tacos since break started

once again, i'm trying this HTML editor, so we'll see how this goes. I finished the knife of never letting go today and enjoyed it quite a bit. Unfortunately for me and my bank account, it ends on a major cliffhanger, so even if i wasn't that into the series, I'd still need to continue just so I can find out what happens. Fortunatley its good enough to continue on. But I don't really feel like buying the next two, so I've put in my requests from the library. Hopefully they'll arrive soon.



i guess in the mean time I'll have to work on the amicus brief that Kevin and I are trying to write and the paper that i have to better-i-fy in the next 2 weeks so I can submit it to ASIS&T (whatever the hell that stands for). Honestly, I'm not totally sure why Matt thinks its worth a conference, but I'll let them decide. To me, it was all pretty basic stuff. A standard law review would dig into the material a LOT deeper, so from my legal writing perspective, its all pretty basic. This is not to say that I didn't work on the paper. Quite the contrary, I worked really hard on it. But I would have preferred if I had focused on one or two issues, rather than the 5 I did. Instead, I tried to present a survey, which to me feels super basic. I suppose it could be that's because I have legal training and I don't understand what other people can and can't understand. But I just feel like everything i wrote should be easily understandable to anyone.



i've been pretty bitter toward grad school recently. Last night I was trying to help michelle with her paper and every time her adviser used a grad school phrase like 'unpack' or whatever, i nearly lost my shit. Grad school really thinks its special. it thinks it's real life. but it just isn't. In real life, no one cares about all this crap. school tries to tell you that you're being trained for life, and what you're learning will translate to the real world. But from what i've seen, grad school mainly teaches you to do grad school. The more you're here, the more you learn how to do these student things that aren't real life... blah... i don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment