Sunday, March 20, 2011

Mi Madre: Review: I need a Torchey's to wash out the Mi Madre

It's not that Mi Madre's taco was bad. Indeed, it was ok. But it certainly wasn't great. And certainly not what I've come to expect from breakfast taco places here in the ATX. With Mi Madre, everything was ok. The eggs were ok, but mostly flavorless. The potatoes were about the same. The Tortilla tasted mass produced and a little gummy. And the salsa was decent enough, but not great. All in all, it just wasn't satisfying. Torchey's still reigns supreme here.

I have a lot on my mind today and a lot i want to blog about. Right now, I should be working. But I suppose that's always the case in grad school. One of those things that ISN'T on my mind, however, is my dreams. I've had them recently, but I can't remember them. I've had kind of restless nights over the past few nights. I think because a lot of Michelle's stress is rubbing off on me. I'm normally a pretty stressed person, and when she gets stressed, it makes me tense. and that's no good. Furthermore, I have my own work to do, but I've spent a sort of lot of time helping her with stuff, and that cuts into my own work time, which i feel is suffering now because of it.

So yea... this is not to say that I'm unhappy with Michelle. Quite the contrary, I'm very happy with her. But it's been hard recently because school weighs on my heavily ordinarily, and the external pressure compounding my frustrations. It concerns me a bit.

Anyway, on to school. Before the end of the year I have to seriously approach this ethical guidelines thing, really start studying for law libraries (because I have no idea what he wants us to know) and think about crowdsourcing. Crowdsourcing is going to be the most difficult because I dont think i understand what Matt Lease is looking for with this paper. Basically my paper is about some of the legal implications of crowdwork. However, as an entry point into this conference on collaborative work, he wants me to say something like "collaborative work is going to increase in the future...." and then do a little compare and contrast between crowdsourcing and outsourcing

so here are my initial ideas. 1. crowdsourcing is likely to increase. As it increases, it also runs an increased risk of running up against the law. There many things that people who are thinking of using crowd work need to consider when thinking about engaging in this type of work. 1. Employment issues. Are crowdworkers employees or something else? I dont really think they are like the traditional independent contractor either, so what are they? What sort of tax issues are there that a company will have to consider? Does even virtual money create tax problems? 2. IP issues. If a creative company produces a creative work using crowd workers, who is the author and thus who profits off of it? Under copyright, all authors are due payment for their portion of profits off of a work. if you crowdsource a creative work, that means that everyone who contributes an independently copyrightable portion should earn off a sale. Under patent law, i think it's similar. What if you crowdsourced work on an invention? Should everyone profit off of it? 3. clickwrap licenses. they can be effective at getting rights away from people. but how effective?

SO that's where I am, but I'm not really sure where Matt Lease is. I have to do some serious thought about this. And start working on the paper. I'd like to get some stuff written down by Friday. My thoughts are that this paper shouldn't be as hard as I think it is and I'd like to only spend 2 real weeks working on it. I'm more concerned about timing of everything as end of the year stuff has a tendency to bump up against everything. Also, I have no idea how to make a poster and have to think about that as well. seriously, a poster. eff that in its face.

And I still haven't written anything about sxsw. I'll get to that later, i guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment